By Michelle Cavé, Brandfundi MD. With the ordinary person encountering up to 10,000 brand ads everyday, the prospect for makes to compete in the attention economy, enable by yourself interact meaningfully with consumers, is turning into progressively tough. The fast change of electric power to shoppers to decide how and when to take in written content has accelerated the will need for even more suitable, charming and engaging material to have any influence.
Johnson & Johnson, American Categorical, Selfridges, LinkedIn, Shopify, Trader Joe’s, Gatorade, Jack Daniels and Wix are among the international brands that have efficiently embraced branded podcasts as an extension of their advertising and marketing strategy. Effectively, a branded podcast is no different from other podcasts, besides that it was created by a manufacturer targeting a distinct market audience.
Some South African branded podcast illustrations include things like:
- Investec Aim Radio characteristics discussions concerning leading minds from within Investec and other authorities on economic, expense and enterprise.
- The AutoTrader Podcast aims to make day-to-day buying selections less difficult, even though putting some entertaining back into motoring.
- Sorbet Man presents Shower Diaries talking about how to ‘man’ accurately, including subject areas these as grooming, dressing, and consuming, and so on.
- Residence Woolf provides information, insights and functional ‘how to’ recommendations for investors in the South African property market place.
- BDO’s Frankly Talking addresses client items, technological know-how, media, telecoms, normal resources and much more.
- The Condition of The Strong, the canned meat Bull Brand’s podcast interviews visitors who share tales of energy to inspire fellow South Africans to explore the probable of their inner strength.
- The Wines of South Africa podcast explores distinctive features of the community wine scene, chatting to winemakers, vineyard owners, and other members of the market, moreover evaluations from a sommelier.
Podcasting has rapidly turn out to be the go-to resource of inspiration and edutainment. Listeners loyally tune into shows that resonate and make them feel aspect of a like-minded community every time and wherever it suits them very best – just ask the 424.2 million men and women who tuned in past calendar year. The term ‘podcasting’ was to start with applied in 2004 when journalist Ben Hammersley explained it as the ‘audible revolution’ or the future generation of radio. Just shy of a decade later, there are a lot more than two million energetic shows, with over 50% of listeners consuming 8 podcast episodes per 7 days. The US$2 billion podcasting business is established to double in 2024.
Just one of the most important contributing things to this growth is its ‘lower content commitment’ when in contrast to reading through or looking at product, i.e., podcasts can be eaten though grocery procuring, training, undertaking chores, driving or even getting a shower, very easily slotting into active schedules without the need of people committing to screentime. In point, 94% of listeners eat podcasts although doing other jobs. What is additional, nowadays individuals expend a lot more time listening to podcasts than they do on social media.
BBC exploration exposed that podcasts that point out a brand name resulted in 16% increased engagement and 12% larger remember than other content. Moreover, they produced 89% model awareness and drove buy intent by 14%. Podcasts have a tendency to be extra engaging than video clip content. Videos maintain the audience’s attention for an typical of two minutes, i.e. 70% of the viewers is however watching at this stage and then promptly fall off. In distinction, podcasts sustain the audience for 28 minutes and deliver an 85% completion level of the content.
Branded podcasting, accomplished properly, will tap into audience psychographics and receive the undivided interest of individuals who are aligned with the brand name values and want to tune in. Viewers numbers might be smaller sized when in comparison to other platforms but the audience will be deeply engaged with the brand’s content. The most effective-branded podcasts deliver excellent storytelling, engaging and insightful hosts, and inspiring, entertaining and informative articles. According to Reuters, folks are inclined to hear to podcasts for enjoyment and mastering. In simple fact, a Nielsen study disclosed that up to 66% want to ‘learn something new’.
Productive branded podcasts are simply tracked as a result of metrics including total downloads and subscribers, opinions, pay attention-via rate, and spillover into the brand’s ecosystem, like web site and social media subsequent and engagement, in addition potential customers and purchases, and so on. The authentic conversational character of a podcast makes it possible for the hosts to occur throughout far more naturally, and as a consequence, listeners tend to believe of them as additional honest and credible and, for that reason, remarkably influential.
Of system, higher-high-quality generation, strategic distribution and listener-focused written content are necessary for audience engagement and progress. A branded podcast necessitates committed means and a marketing plan to maintain lengthy-term associations with its audience.
Bonus: Here’s a url to the greatest world-wide retail podcasts.
Obtain the Retailing Africa newsletter every week • Subscribe below.